Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Compatibility vs. Chemistry

Which is more important in a relationship, compatibility or chemistry? Some would argue that both factor equally. After all, you do want to feel like you and your mate make a good team in the game of life. That natural, almost animalistic attraction should flow effortlessly between you. I often wonder though how realistic it is to have both. Most relationships only have one or the other. Some have that attraction that won't allow them to keep their hands to themselves but when it comes to having deep, thought provoking conversations, there's nothing. Others have that conversation and intellectual stimulation but no natural physical attraction, or chemistry. What if you've experienced a relationship or have found that special someone that brings both chemistry and compatibility to the situation? Does that mean that's the situation you need to be in? My past two relationships were either high in compatibility or chemistry, but unfortunately neither possessed both. My most recent relationship had that undeniable, can't keep your hands to yourself chemistry. We started off as friends and really took the time to get to know one another. Unluckily for me I didn't get to know him well enough because he turned out to be one of the biggest liars I have ever met! But we'll get back to that later. So the chemistry was superb and the conversation was deep and thought provoking. We also shared a passion for one another that I haven't experienced many times in my life. I could literally talk to him about anything and he could do the same with me, or so I thought. That being said, I don't think we were the most compatible in the long run. The relationship was lacking stability and I just didn't feel secure, not financially but as a whole. In the end, he turned out to be professionally, financially and logically unstable. He was the master of deception and he put on the greatest front. Of course, my intuition was telling me all along that something wasn't completely right but I ignored it initially. When the truth finally came to light, I realized that almost everything that he told me was a lie. All the chemistry in the world couldn't make up for him being a liar! My relationship prior to the liar was based on compatibility and a mutual respect for one another. By all means he could have been easily considered the prototypical man. During our courtship phase, as well as, far into the relationship, he showered me with flowers, gifts and a general concern for my well-being. He would make sure that I had eaten; he would fill my car up with gas and make sure that the oil changes were current. I was also his spoiled little brat; there was nothing that I wanted for that I couldn't have, considering it was within his reach. When it came down to genuine chemistry, however; it just wasn't there. Our conversations were very basic and surface level. He didn't fully understand me or appreciate me as an individual. We also had two clashing personalities and many opposing views. All the spoiling and chivalry in the world couldn't make up for the nasty arguments and misunderstandings that we had. Looking back on it, I think I was comfortable with the stability that he provided. I felt safe and secure, which is a very good feeling to have in a relationship. No matter how in love we were with the "idea" of us, in the end we proved to be all wrong for each other. This takes me back to my original question....which is more important in a relationship, compatibility or chemistry? I truly believe that it is extremely rare to find both; however, my faith allows me to believe that it is definitely possible.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting question, Chloe'! I'm a very innately sensual/sexual being. I don't know any other way to be. What tends to happen, of course, is that I always appear sexually attractive to other people. The people I attract are rarely attracted to anything else. I have plenty to offer, but a lot of times I believe my undeniable pheromones get in the way. I have been saying I wish I had a "homieloverfriend", like the old R. Kelly Song. I think somewhere out there that person exists, it's just a matter of us finding each other. In my opinion, the physical chemistry can't occur if I am not at least somewhat compatible. Very, very interesting though. I'll definitely keep following this topic. Great start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think an initial physical attraction is always good becasue it creates a sort of craving or need for the other person. I also believe things fall into place better when the friendship foundation is set prior to exploring the physical aspect of the relationship. Of course, with us being human, things don't always happen in that order. However, when relationships develop in that order, I think it sets the foundation for a solid relationship or beautiful "homieloverfriend" scenario as you like to call it.

    ReplyDelete